Complex Business Fraud Litigation
In unearthing fraud and assisting its victims, we are creative, aggressive, and relentless.
Our Complex Business Fraud Litigation Group takes a proactive, prosecutorial, and strategic approach to a broad range of business and professional misconduct matters, focusing on investment fraud and Ponzi-type schemes that result in business insolvencies.
Whether representing a fiduciary or private party, we focus on using our multi-disciplinary experience in litigation, law enforcement, bankruptcy, and securities to investigate and litigate, when necessary, in order to achieve the highest recovery possible for the victims of the fraud. Our background in law enforcement enables us to work cooperatively with regulatory and criminal authorities to pursue all avenues of recovery. Our bankruptcy experience enables us to understand the most effective strategies in cases that involve navigating the bankruptcy court.
As with all litigation we undertake, we begin by learning the issues and listening to our clients’ concerns so that we may best meet their objectives. We make an early assessment of costs and strategies.
Our lawyers have litigated in courts and arbitrations all over the country. Although deeply experienced in trial work, we also know how to bring cases to a successful conclusion before they become lengthy, costly battles.
When undertaking massive fraud investigations, we first examine all potential wrongdoers and those who may have some exposure to liability to the victims of the fraud. We then seek to secure those assets that, at the conclusion of the litigation, may provide a resource from which to compensate our clients. We have a successful record of identifying and obtaining recovery for fraud victims from many different sources, including banks, insurance companies, brokerage firms, professionals, and others who may have in some way facilitated or profited from the fraud.
- Asserted multiple claims against individuals, professional firms, insurance companies and financial institutions on behalf of Chapter 11 trustee, and to date have recovered in excess of $100 million for victims of a Ponzi scheme.
- Represented SEC Receiver of bank in suits against banks and brokerage firms arising out of a restricted stock scheme, resulting in the recovery of more than $20 million for victims.
- Obtained a 100% recovery for creditors of a bankrupt, no-asset, auto dealership group on behalf of a bankruptcy trustee through assertion of claims based on vigorous forensic review of bank records and examinations of former principals and other parties.
- Represented investor group in litigation involving fraudulent conveyance of artworks.
- Represented Trustee of post-confirmation Liquidation Trust in investigation and pursuit of fraud and other claims owned by the Trust.