We advise on all issues involving buying, selling, and donating art.
Our clients in the art world include collectors, dealers, artists, art galleries, trade associations, donors, estates, not-for-profit organizations, and auction houses. Our attorneys regularly advise our art world clients on a wide variety of matters relating to the art market and art market participants, including:
- the purchase and sale of art in private transactions
- auction consignments
- art finance and lending
- formation of art investment partnerships
- litigation involving authenticity, fakes, forgeries, and fraud
- estate planning, gifting, and administration of bequests of art
- charitable contributions
- formation and governance of not-for-profit entities
- importation of fine art and antiquities
- policy and regulatory matters involving antiquities
- licensing and protection of intellectual property
- Our transactional lawyers have represented leading private collectors, investors, and dealers in the United States and Europe in transactions involving fine art and antiquities.
- Our litigators have represented collectors in leading cases involving forgery and fraud, as well as the laws governing auctions.
- Our trust and estate lawyers represent leading artists and their estates to guide them through gifts and bequests of art, estate administration, and federal estate and income tax issues, including appraisals and valuation disputes before the IRS Art Panel.
- We also deal with licensing, exempt organizations law, and intellectual property issues relating to works of art.